The Courtyard has implemented an Independent Learning Tasks policy from September 2019.
This is to promote pupils learning to work independently, either at home or at school.
Each week a subject sets a task, both on the Google Classroom and in paper format for those who either aren't able to access the internet at home or who prefer to work on paper. The tasks range between research and academic tasks, practice paper tasks and tasks which allow for flexibility of thinking and creativity.
The maths department use MyMaths to set weekly homework tasks based on individual pupil needs, as identified in both classwork and assessments.
The weekly timetable is shared with parents and also pupils so they know which subject is set for each week.
Additionally, there are many websites which offer activities, games, quizzes, past papers and much more to support learning at home.
- English Language GCSE websites
- http://www.code.org for coding and computational thinking.
For recipes to cook at home
- https://kidshelpline.com.au/ - This is an Australian website, it's great for information but do not call the number. Go to Childline if you need to speak to someone on the phone.
- Start Start’s unique features for students and teachers will help to simplify and improve careers provision at your school or college.
- https://www.artistsnetwork.com/art-techniques/ for art techniques
- https://smarthistory.org/ for art history
- http://www.kidsites.com/sites-edu/art.htm for a variety of art activities on different websites
- The Birds and the Bees The Birds and the Bees is a website created by Sarah Curtiss that provides information to parents, professionals, and self-advocates on how to teach human sexuality to individuals with special needs. This very helpful site has a focus on Autism Spectrum Disorders. It provides lesson plans, teaching strategies, and other helpful information.
- Young Actors Theatre This is a local theatre which offers a wonderful selection of glee clubs and drama workshops for young people to engage with.
- Club Soda A music-based organisation for young people, offering an array of musical activities such as composition/songwriting, DJ-ing and performances.
- Lyfta's storyworlds are interactive 360-degree environments that children can explore. They are real places featuring real people whom children can get to know and understand through powerful short documentary films, virtual reality experiences, rich media articles and infographics.
- https://noisyclassroom.com/ Helping our pupils become persuasive speakers, critical listeners, analytical thinkers and engaged citizens.
General games and educational websites
- Top 100 educational YouTube channels
- 27 educational games for kids
- 10 free online educational games sites