World Book Day
Friday 14 February, 2020
World Book Day on Thursday 5 March
Here at The Courtyard we place a great emphasis on the power of reading: it opens up our pupils’ minds to new worlds of fact or fiction; exposes pupils to new vocabulary, punctuation and sentence structure; helps to improve comprehension skills and builds confidence across the curriculum in which texts and reading are an integral part.
With this in mind, we will be celebrating World Book Day on Thursday 5 March.
The theme this year is: Alice in Wonderland!
The Lead for English, Miss Dias, has organised a day of reading and book related activities including:
- Best Dressed Teacher / Pupil Competition
- Alice in Wonderland Tea Party (feel free to send in food for staff and pupils to share, whether shop bought or homemade, all food donations are deliciously welcome!)
- Bake Sale (all money raised will go to charity)
- Trip to Waterstones (permission slip letter to follow)
- Lessons involving: Manga comic creations, quizzes, drama, Spanish fairy tales and All About Lewis Carroll
To help you get inspiration, there is a website dedicated to giving parents and carers ideas for characters to dress up as and even tips on how to create a home-made version.
https://bookaid.org/support-us/world-book-day/world-book-day-dress-up/ or https://www.worldbookday.com/ideas/dressing-up-gallery/
If your child is going to dress up for World Book Day, a £1.00 donation will go towards our school charity. Cakes at the cake sale will also cost between 50p and £1.00.
The English Department: Cherina Dias, Alison Rush, Katherine Healy